Thursday, December 22, 2005

Andrew's Visit

I had a really wonderful time with Andrew being here. It gave me a vacation that I really needed, and it was great to have a face from home here. We went to markets, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and alot of restaurants. I think he had a good time, too.

Picking him up from the airport ended up having more intrigue than I planned for. I was waiting in the Starbucks for about two hours a) because it was one of the only places with available seating, and b) because I got there way too early. His plane landed late, but I finally saw westerners pouring out of the international arrivals gate. I had been standing there since they landed. I waited and waited, but there was no Andrew. Then I realized that the guards were letting people out of boths sides of this metal gate, and I was only accounting for the one I was standing by. It was a reasonable thing to do, as the other side was marked, "Flight Staff Only," or some nonsense like that.

I moved to the middle, right where people were coming out, but I still didn't see him. I started to feel like I had probably missed him. I hadn't received a phone call from him, though, which was our plan B, so I thought I should just stay where I was. Suddenly, I heard a voice from behind me say, "Hillary!" very loudly. I quickly turned, and sure enough, it was Andrew.

Andrew didn't know he was standing right behind me. He had just put into action his plan of walking behind groups of people and yelling my name until he got a response. Lucky for both of us, he got me on the first try. I apparently blended in with the Chinese people around me.

It was a really nice week. I'm so glad he came to Beijing. I'm looking forward to going home to visit for a few weeks in February. Familiarity is really nice sometimes.

cab ride with andrew

The cab ride from the airport.

andrew and a door at the forbidden city


Andrew in front of a door at the Forbidden City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home