Sunday, July 09, 2006

Chinese Herbal Cough Medicine

I'm still sick, and my cough is beginning to sound particularly ugly. I get this every so often, so it's not that big of a deal. I still haven't found a way to make it go away quickly, though, and right now I'm particularly desperate for it to stop. I want to be healthy this week because most of my friends are leaving at the end of it, and I want to hang out with them. So, today, against my usual course of western power-antibiotics, went for some Chinese medicine. I usually think it isn't going to be strong enough since my body is used to western medicine, but I really don't like taking the codeine cough medicine I have from the international hospital. It's overkill.

I went to a pharmacy today and bought Chinese herbal cough medicine called Nin Jiom Pei Pa Kao (It's from Hong Kong). So far, I like it. It tastes good. It's really thick and syrupy, so it was a little weird to have in my mouth and to swallow, but I got over it quickly. My mouth and throat feel pleasantly cool, I don't have any real desire to cough right now. My voice is also back because my throat is coated. It seems to be working pretty well.

Ingredients:

Tendrilleaf Fritilliary Bulb
Loquat Leaf
Fourleaf Ladybell Root
Indian Bread
Pummelo Peel
Platycodon Root
Prepared Pinellia Tuber
Chinese Magnoliavine Fruit
Snakegourd Seed
Common Coltsfoot Flower
Thinleaf Milkwort Root
Bitter Apricot Seed
Fresh Ginger
Liquorice
Almond Extract
Menthol
Honey
Maltose
Syrup

So good. I kind of wish I had candy that tasted like this. Anyway, I'm pleased so far. The little bit I am coughing now doesn't hurt, so that's better than I was doing.

5 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Disenchanted Dave said...

Good luck. I hope you feel better.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, Nin Jiom Pei Pa Kaoaaaaaaaa. My friend had some of that stuff in college and it became a running joke as to how obnoxiously we could try to say it in faux-Cantonese.

Glad you were successful with the Chinese medicine though. Stay away from the snake gall!

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they do have a candy version. maybe you'll need to look around for it

http://www.chamber.org.hk/info/member_a_week/member_profile.asp?id=72

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they do have a candy version. maybe you'll need to look around for it

http://www.chamber.org.hk/info/member_a_week/member_profile.asp?id=72

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even have a cough and I want that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home