Thursday, November 10, 2005

Unattainable Beauty Standards

this makes me angry

I bought this today specifically for the purpose of being able to photograph it and put it here. Cameras aren't allowed in the store.

Anyway, this little mask set is what i have been looking for to sum up the possibly irrational anger I have about the idealization of being white that I have encountered. Chinese, Korean, and Japanese girls compliment me on my skin all the time because I'm really pale, and that's apparently beautiful to them. There are whitening creams sold to dye people's skin lighter tints. When you combine this with the surgery to get the eyelid folds, it's enough to make me want to start bashing heads in.

It's all to "make you more perfect," just as this box says. Why is "perfect" some ethnic ideal? Why, after I look at a product in a store, do Chinese girls go right to it and look at it, too? Why are people not content with who they are?

This is something that's really bothering me.

4 Comments:

At 2:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny. I think asian chicks are hot.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger adelle&sam said...

Actually I don't think this has anything to do with ethnic reason. The Chinese and Northeast Asia share the same aesthetic opinion that being white is beautiful ever since the ancient time, because:1, fair skin looks clean and tidy; 2, it makes the skin glow just as westerners like the glowing effect after tanning.

Any those things don't really dye the skin, usually they just soften and moisturize, so that the skin looks more clear and healthy.

Well, if you are still in China, maybe talk to the people more next time you are confused.

Good luck in China=)

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can tell you why they like it whiter. It's b/c chinese ppl normally have a yellowish tinge in their skin, and they want to look "westernized", and not so yellow and throw-up/unhealthy looking, since China used to be really poor.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I made my skin as darker as possible, now after I came back from China, I think my pale skin is quite nice.
Now I think asian girls should go to Europe, and undersand that their dark skin is not so ugly as they think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home